Notes to Self

Thoughts on psychology, spirituality and soft skill development for personal improvement

 

An Idea

"An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea." - Buddha

It's so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. (People who want me to sign a non-disclosure agreement to tell me the simplest idea.)

To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.

Explanation:

Awful idea = -1
Weak idea = 1
So-so idea = 5
Good idea = 10
Great idea = 15
Brilliant idea = 20

No execution = $1
Weak execution = $1000
So-so execution = $10,000
Good execution = $100,000
Great execution = $1,000,000
Brilliant execution = $10,000,000

To make a business, you need to multiply the two.

The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20. The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.

That's why I don't want to hear people's ideas. I'm not interested until I see their execution.

— Derek Sivers, president and programmer, CD Baby and HostBaby